Alopexian Philosphy

I am trying a more spontaneous journal off my main website at http://buddybest.tripod.com/index.html

Name:
Location: Bensalem, PA, United States

Sunday, August 21, 2005

Progeria -- early signs of senility

When Reagan was my age in 1959, he was already showing signs of progeria.
Sun 14 Aug
I just finished chapter 2 of Morrison and Boyd. I realize now what I missed the first round in 1976. The points are that energy factors govern halogenation. The problems emphasize the role of the energy of activation and the mechanisms of free radical halogenation. Other questions popped into my head as I went through the problems, twentyone years too late. The most important aspect is that I am finisheing things, instead of collecting tasks for the future.

Just when it seems it couldn't get hotter, we hit 38ยบ today. This heat is about a month late. I stayed inside all day to avoid the stifling and enervating heat. I seem to be getting little done this summer, although my classes at Block will abate for a month. Hopefully, I can aqueeze in the tasks during the pause.

Sat 20 Aug
In 1977, I spent this entire week away from the Coal Street project in Wilkes-Barre. We went to Atlantic City on Sunday and left on Wednesday. It was Tuesday in the late afternoon, when we heard some kid on the Boardwalk yell that Elvis was dead. That was the last time I was in Atlantic City and on a vacation.
Wednesday we drove to my relatives, which is very close to my current home. We spent a few pleasant days until we returned home to the projects. I patiently waited for the time when I could return to the Wilkes-Barre Campus of Penn State. I had to wait another two weeks and a half.

I avoided bringing my diary to work, so I have nothing much written here this week. On Wednesday I spent a long day which eneded at Academy Palza with the final class of sole proprietorships. I'll still need Monday and Thursday this week, even with Wednesday no longer class night for a few weeks. I have the final tomorrow and Toastmasters on Thursday.

My adventures with Morrison and Boyd continued to chapter 3 on alkanes. I'm searching for parts I still don't understnad. Chapter 2 was a revelation this time. I could actually see the molecules as they collide, and I found myself extending the concept to other situations.
Halogenation seemed to open the concept of just how chemical reactions occur. In this case, the methane and the chlorine collide, but they need a certain amount of energy to react. It's a statistical aspect often found in physical chemistry. I also considered combustion in the same manner. Later I found out about oxygen as free radicals in nutrition. Somehow the idea of combustion as a radical process never crossed my mind in 1976.

Sun 21 Aug
I bought "Dances with Wolves" and watched it in French audio and captions. The movie is rather magnificent in its view of the Sioux (in contrast to George Custer at Little Big Horn). It is a glimpse of Amerind history. I had to switch to English the second time to understand the Sioux.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home